The Roundheads : Crickett the Boston Terrier
Crickett the Boston
HomeStoryBlogArtworkStoreContactFlip Book

The Roundheads

by Renée van Opijnen on 04/25/18

The Roundheads

The Boston Terrier originated in 1865 by a handful of coachmen living in the Beacon Hill area of Boston. The original Boston was developed as a "man's dog", but never gained popularity as a fighter. Mr. Robert C. Hooper purchased a dog named Judge, a cross between an English Bulldog and a white English Terrier, from Mr. William O'Brien also of Boston, who had imported the dog from Europe. Bred down in size with French Bull dogs, it later became popular with women as a pet.

The Olde Boston Bulldogge was first shown in 1870 in Massachusetts. By 1889 the breed had become popular that fanciers formed the American Bull Terrier Club; their nickname "the roundheads". The American Kennel Club (AKC) cites Hooper's Judge as the ancestor of almost all true Boston Terriers; his offspring providing the foundation for "the Boston".

Despite the name, the Boston Terrier is not recognized as a terrier by the AKC and was the first non-sporting dog bred in U.S.A. With tuxedo-like markings and possessing so fine a disposition free of its ancestors' fighting temperament, they gained the nickname "The American Gentleman".  

The first registered Boston Terrier admitted to the AKC studbook was a male named Hector in 1893.  Three years later a female, Topsy, became the first Champion at the Philadelphia Dog Show.  In comparison of specimens of each sex, the only evident difference is a slight refinement in the females composition - her overall appearance and structure.  

Comments (0)

Leave a comment